[NAFEX] shady/rich soil/fruit?

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 25 22:55:14 EST 2003

	The lowest part of the acre that I have fenced for orchard is at the bottom
of the east facing hill. It is an area about 150' wide, with native trees
all around the perimeter, so it gets about 3/4 day sun. It is a bit more of
a frost pocket, though the hill continues on down below it through native
trees. The soil there is 12 to 18 inches (clay under) and very rich. It has
plenty of water from the hills' runnoff.
	I have planted a few apples there as an experiment, but would really like
advice as to what hardy fruits might be the most suited to this environment
- in order to make use of my richest soil.
	Brambles, prunus, pyrus, ribes, blueberry, grape, mulberry, bush cherries,
are all ideas - but I am ignorant which might be tolerant to the partial
shade and bit of extra frost (90-95 frost free days) and also proiduce a
crop. There is good winter/low sun SW shade. Trees or bush fruit, any
suggestions? Thanks, Del Z2/3 (or warmer, it has been several years since we
have seen -40F)

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3