[NAFEX] scionwood propagation

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 13:50:01 EST 2003

>What does one do to assist an apple tree in producing the maximum number of
>scions each year. I am not interested in the fruit but the wood.
>Thanks, Bruce

I would think that coppicing (basically cutting the tree back
to a tall stump) might be a way of producing signficant
amounts of vigorous wood.  The sprouts forced in this way would
tend to be very large caliper, very vigorous and generally
straight.  However, I believe that the secondary buds forced
in this manner come from a different part of the plant's
meristem, and you might reveal an increased number of sports.

This is not based on any direct fruit tree experience, but a
combination of some other things I've done, plus reading.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6