[NAFEX] scionwood propagation

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 7 19:57:14 EST 2003

>What does one do to assist an apple tree in producing the maximum number of
>scions each year. I am not interested in the fruit but the wood.
>Thanks, Bruce
I would personally be more concerned with caliper, length and vitality of
scionwood, than quantity of pieces. (maybe that is what you meant?)
Preferring fewer 2' shoots to a lot of 8" ones - which don't yield as nice
scionwood because of the end trimming and close buds. The one time I wanted
this I watered and fertilized early in the season and picked off sprouts I
didn't want.... But I'm definitly a novice fruit grower.
Del