[NAFEX] Pecan on hickory --> dwarfing?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Jan 7 10:11:46 EST 2003

At 08:35 AM 1/7/2003 -0600, Richard wrote:
>Regarding pecan on Hickory. It is reported to work with most hickories and
>las 20 years or so even with overgrowth. However there are some tetraploid
>hickories and I do not know how they would work.

Well, then, pecan grafted onto a shagbark rootstock might work to keep size
down.  I don't know that shellbark would diminish tree size, as they tend
to be quite vigorous growers, at least in my  neck of the woods.
Fred Blankenship tells me that there are some hickory cultivars that really
"like" pecan - Yoder, Mitch Russell, etc., while others seem to be
'happier' on a hickory rootstock.  Wonder if some pecan cultivars would be
recalcitrant on hickory?

Lucky