[NAFEX] Geraldi dwarf mulberry

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Sat Jan 4 13:58:27 EST 2003

At 10:12 AM 1/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am thinking about getting few of the Gerldi Mulberry
>trees.
>
>I wonder if anyone can comment on the fruit of this
>tree as compared to
>others?

I've got 4 that were purchased(by my wife) as 'dwarf mulberries' - it's
been several years, and I don't recall now if they were Geraldi or just
'dwarf'.  All were, I presumed, supposed to be the same, but they are not -
one is a vigorous fruitless male(It's coming out soon!), two are pretty
dwarfed - not over about 6 ft tall, six years after being planted, the
fourth is *maybe* a semi-dwarf.  Fruits on the three females are tiny - the
birds eat them, but even my kids don't bother eating them.
Don't think I'd plant one again - much prefer a good M.rubra, or Illinois
Everbearing.  Even my weeping mulberry has larger, tastier berries than the
dwarfs., and it's pretty small, staturewise, in its own right.

Lucky