[NAFEX] can I graft apple to pear or hawthorn?

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 4 01:15:29 EST 2003

>I think Del Stubbs or someone on the list was trying apple on Amelanchier a
>while back, but I don't recall the outcome.  Del?

Jury is still out - since my experiment was with only a handful of grafts.
So far none of my nova pear w/t grafts on craetagus have taken. The only
apple to stick with it on amelanchier is honeygold - and it is questionable.
Same on craetegus, only honeygold and it's questionable. These were all done
on small branches (1/4"), I hope this spring to cut some hawthorn at ground
level and graft so all its juices are forced into the scion of both pear and
apple. Would be happy to hear of scion recommendations to try.
Del, where northern Minnesota is more like zone 4 or 5 so far this year