[NAFEX] Bumble aggression

Bob Kelly Bkelly66 at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 21 14:19:23 EDT 2003

Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinatorYeah, Gene.  That is more like my experience.  When growing up in the Mississippi Delta, I can remember accidentally disturbing  bumblebee nests.  The sting would almost knock you down. (Like a hornet, I was told, tho I was never stung by one of those.) While the sting was very potent, the pain did not linger, the way a yellow jacket sting would (like for several days).

Their procedure, when disturbed, was to emerge from their hole in the ground, and begin flying in an ever widening circle at about 3 feet above the ground.  Supposedly their vision is poor, so this is their search procedure.  If one realized he had disturbed the nest, he had time to retreat.

Bob Kelly
NW Mississippi Zone 7b