[NAFEX] Bumble aggression

Gene Spears Spears at LMC.edu
Mon Apr 21 14:00:46 EDT 2003

    In my experience, disturbing a wild bumblebee nest is a "stimulating"
event.  Sometimes, I'll accidentally scythe around a nest entrance & get an
unexpected bit of sprint training, usually after a very painful sting or
two.  Not quite as bad as yellow jackets for mass attacks, but still pretty
aggressive....

gene
spears at lmc.edu <mailto:spears at lmc.edu>

-----Original Message-----
From: Lon J. Rombough [mailto:lonrom at hevanet.com]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 1:53 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator

That's the most aggressive behavior I've ever heard of in bumble bees.  Are
you sure you didn't have a species of underground living wasp?
-Lon Rombough

From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucehansen at acd.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:49:38 -0400
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>

Mark:

I have found a similar thing with bumble bees. However, if you disturb their
nest they will chase you. I did this and was chased from the barn to the
house (100 yds)where, to escape, I closed the screen door behind me. The bee
buzzed the screen several times and then waited for me to come out.

Bruce z5 MI