[NAFEX] T-bud demonstrated via animation

philip sauber mrtejas at lycos.com
Fri Apr 18 15:21:39 EDT 2003

In my opinion, the GIF does not give a good picture of how to cut the bud for t-budding.  It looks more like how to cut a chip for a chip bud.  Start out about 1/2" above the bud and make a straight cut to 1/2" below the bud keeping the amount cut off thin.   The same technique can also be used on apples, pears, persimmon, peaches etc.  I just got back today from t-budding several of a friend's persimmon trees.

The link below gives the best pictures of t-budding citrus I have ever seen.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/budding/budding.htm
--

See also my secrets of t-budding citrus success page.  I wrote this up since many things must be right for a t-bud to take, the right budwood(2nd to last growth spurt), the outside temperature and on and on =>

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/BuddingNotes.htm

I use dormant buds for citrus, pears, and persimmons cut in February and budded when the bark starts slipping in April.  You can't do t-budding where I live near Houston in the summer as the buds die if the weather is above 90F.  I think in the frozen north where most list memebers live, you could probably do t-budding in the summer and I've heard it called summer budding.

Most budding in my area is done in the fall about September 15 - October 15 when the weather is below 90F and the cool fronts with night temperatures below 55F haven't hit yet.  The budwood is from current growth.  The bud is left on the seedling through the winter(winters are mild) and forced in the spring.

Also check out the grafting techniques I have been documenting on my home page.  I have been building these pages primarily to remind myself how to do the various grafting techniques. I am really a beginner and have only been grafting a few years.

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber