[NAFEX] securing grafts with raffia

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Fri Apr 18 11:33:26 EDT 2003

The link below demonstrates grafting of bonsai plants.
http://www.absbonsai.org/happenings/cary/cary.html

The grafts are held together with raffia, a grass-like material obtained
from the fronds of the raffia palm in Madagascar.  I have used different
kinds of tape and rubber strips while grafting, but I have never heard of
using raffia before.  I seems like it would be an excellent choice since it
is a natural material that the callus cells could penetrate, as well as
breaking down overtime after the graft has taken.  Does anyone have
successes or failures to report using raffia?
-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7B/8A