[NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Apr 15 23:30:29 EDT 2003

The late Professor Elwyn Meader crossed two species of plums to get a fruit
that looks and tastes like a pie cherry, but on a bush only 6 feet tall at
maximum.  The interesting part is that they ripen in August when all other
cherries are gone and the birds usually ignore them because at that time of
year their brains tell them to seek blue or black fruit.  I imagine they
would be safe from cherry fruit flies because they are much later than the
flies are around, and being plums (technically) they might not be attractive
to the flies.
   The drawback to them here in Oregon is that they bloom early during cool,
wet weather and get pseudomonas badly.  I suspect that, because they are
graft compatible with plums, they could be grafted on a trunk like a tree
rose and they would get enough air circulation to keep from having the
disease.  I've just never had time to test them that way.
-Lon Rombough

Is there a cherry that ripens its fruit in August?
Does it bloom later than other cherries? Maybe there's
a way to escape the circulios's most active egg-laying
period.