[NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 15 14:49:59 EDT 2003

Joe Brown,
You mention that in Kentucky, "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1" have "no major
insect or disease problems".
I find this fascinating because the two sour cherries I have grown in
the past, Montmorency and North Star, both had major insect problems, I
mean I could not get any fruit at all without plenty of insecticide
spraying.  Since I have no time anymore for spraying, I'm asking for
clarification, are you getting these cherries without any spraying?

Let me expand the question to others, is ANYBODY getting cherries
without spraying?   I have heard the statement made that a very small
cherry will be unbothered because the cherry is too small for the
insect to get into and lay eggs there's not enough room in the fruit to
receive an egg deposit.  Therefore, while we would all like big juicy
cherries, is it possible for us to "settle" on a cherry variety that
yields small fruit, but does not need spraying?  And if it is possible
for us to settle for us to "settle" on a small-cherry variety, is there
any high-yielding small-cherry variety propagated?  Or a specific
strain grown from seed that will throw a cherry tree yielding small
cherries?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts