[NAFEX] Peach Tree Life

Don Yellman dyellman at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 12 21:43:28 EDT 2003

Ward:

I have just about concluded that that useful life of a peach tree in the
  Mid-Atlantic is 20 years, and that beyond 15 years they are living on
borrowed time.  The reason is disease, which usually chooses older
trees.  There are no real cures.  What you have sounds like a classic
case of bacterial canker (Pseudomonas syringae).  Bacterial leaf spot is
another disease that can weaken and eventually kill a peach tree, as is
gummosis, which is fungal in origin.  Any one of these diseases, or
several others which attack older trees, and you have a terminal case.
The solution is to plant a new tree, since even if the tree hangs on,
the quality of the peaches declines dramatically.  I have taken down
seven peach trees over the past ten years that were afflicted with one
or more of these diseases.  Every 3 years or so, I plant two new trees
in new locations to keep the peaches coming.  I wish I could give you
better news.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA