[NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

Dan Sorensen dan.phantom at westpa.net
Sun Apr 6 21:18:32 EDT 2003

OK then, if they are exposed to anything below 32 degrees it won't matter
if they're hardened off or not.  Kiwi foliage, especially new growth, will
freeze below that temperature.  I've found that that's the major problem
for me with hardy kiwi.  Virtually every year we get frost two or three
times after the buds break and it always means the vines have to start all
over again.  I haven't seen any secondary buds with blossoms like
grapes.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it
yet.  Once they get big enough, the upper branches can sometimes protect
the foliage underneath so I usually get a small crop, but I find it very
frustrating year after year.

Sorry for your loss.  I know how it feels.

Dan