[NAFEX] bleeding grafts

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Apr 4 11:11:55 EST 2003

I've had moderate success grafting walnuts with the 'sap-stopper
modification of the Gray graft'.  It's really just a simple bark graft, but
rather than completely beheading the rootstock, you just cut 3/4 to 7/8 of
the way through the stem and break it over, leaving the top attached to act
as a 'relief valve'.
However, I still think I'll give Lee's technique a shot - even with pecans,
I've occasionally encountered excessive bleeding and drowning/blowout of
newly placed grafts.

Fred Blankenship, who taught me to do 4-flap grafts, makes a couple of
quick 'girdling' cuts around the stem of the rootstock below all his graft
placements, with the thought that it may act as a 'relief valve' to
diminish bleeding,  as well as helping to keep auxins concentrated in the
region of the graft, to help enhance callus formation.   You're not
actually removing any bark when you make these ringbarking cuts, just
slicing through the bark.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY