[NAFEX] Re: Unidentified Fruit

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch at vsnl.com
Thu Apr 3 06:47:42 EST 2003

In India this is called CHIKU.  It is now cultivated widely in the coastal
regions of West and South India.  As the fruit can be ripened after picking
like bananas, so it can be shipped to long distances.  Therefore it is sold
all over India.

Here it is propagated by grafting on Manilkara hexandra, a leeser known
fruit called KHIRNI in India.  Khirni is rated as a delicacy in India like
figs and mulberries.  In big cities like Delhi and Ahmedabad, ripe fruits of
khirni are are kept on large ice slabs for cooling by fruit vending carts
and sell at a quite high price.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com