[NAFEX] grafting named mulberry onto wild tree

Kristina & Bruce herenorthere at lycos.com
Sat Jun 29 13:36:27 EDT 2002

Hi all - A wild mulberry grows next to the house and I'd like to switch to a larger-fruiting variety.  It's about 6" diameter (the tree, not the house) and I prune it hard to 10 ft for easy harvesting and to keep it off the house.  I'd like to graft a named variety or two on it at 4 ft., but can't find anything about mulberries in the books I've looked at.  My internet searches lead me to interesting silk industry stuff, but not what I need.  Basically, will mulberries graft well at that height and what works well for them?  Thanks.
Bruce Wittchen
CT Zone 6
herenorthere at lycos.com