[NAFEX] garden visits

Sam Franc franc at oregonfast.net
Sat Jul 20 17:09:24 EDT 2002

ted siegan wrote:

> Sam,
>
> Can't have fruit without flowers. A few kiwi growers I've spoken to
> around here ( eastern Ma ) don't get flowers until a good 4-5 years;
> same with pawpaw. I have gotten fruit on ' Itchi' and 'Great Wall'
>  Kaki Persimmons on 3 year old grafted trees.
>
> ted siegan

That is true. that is why you want to plant males at the same time you
plant females otherwise you will wait 10 or 12 years fro fruit.
I have found that my females have not blossomed till they were 6 or 7
years old. some of my males blossomed earlier.
Because of our low heat days here it is difficult to ripen them on the
vine every year.
So I pick before frost and ripen inside in a paper bag.
Sam