[NAFEX] orchard hay compost

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:08:05 EDT 2002

I am presently cutting hay from a low area near my orchard with the
intention of  adding it to the orchard as much needed organic matter - to
amend the clay soil.  I just did a net search on composting hay and came up
empty.
My thought is to make windrows 2' deep. Or to encircle the trees 6-8' dia.
2'deep.  I dont have any mechanical means to turn it so will have to let it
compost  by worms and slower (anerobic?) rotting.   Naturally, wherever I
put it I won't be able to mow , but hopefully won't have to .  Getting mulch
off from around the trees in the spring is a good idea here for early ground
warm up.... not sure how to add that into the equation.
Any one done this ? Just piled hay in an orhcard and hoped for nature to do
the rest?
I am hoping to be able to  add a neighbors horse manure to the top of it as
well.
Duck weed has completely closed in our 2 acre pond, bet it would make
wonderful fertilizer if a person could gather it.
Wish we could send some our rain to you folk in the dry parts of N. America,
just had an awesome skeeter hatch here.  Del

Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3