[nafex] Bee Habits

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu May 10 15:01:32 EDT 2001

Hi,

Dumb question...

How do bees navigate away from the hive, and then return to
it?

I know that they do a dance in the hive which tells other
bees where nectar can be found, which I believe has to do
with the position of the sun in the sky.

But would the bees you hand carried to the plants be "lost"
and not know the way back to the hive?

Since hives are moved around to pollinate crops, the bees
must have some means of remembering where the hive is on a
daily basis.

Hopefully, a bee expert will be able to reveal how dumb this
question is.

Regards,
Tom

  [www.debticated.com]