[nafex] Cub scout Project - Apple

jim jmc1 at epix.net
Tue Mar 6 03:11:05 EST 2001

"Antonovka" is a family name, not a variety specific.  When looking for winter
hardy breeding material 30 years ago, I collected the Antonovkas that USDA  and
others had earlier brought in from Russia.  These are now in the clonal repository
here at Geneva -- Antonovka 1.5 Pounds (=A. Polutorafuntovaya), A. Debnicka,
A.Kamenichka,  A.Michurin, A. Monasir, A. Shafran, and A. Zheltaia.  These are 7
distinct varieties.  The first -- Ant.Polt. -- is of particular interest because it
is scab-immune;  huge green fruits, quite tart.  Ant.Kam. is a 2.5 inch yellow, not
bad flavor.  Ant.Polt is very blight susceptible, Ant.Kam. rather tolerant.  It is
probable that the "Antonovka" knocking around North America is Ant.Polt.  Missing,
so far as I can ascertain, is Antonovka Ob------, Common Antonovka.  The
"Antonovka" seed imported from Poland is normally Common Antonovka, with various
hardy varieties as pollen parents.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com