[nafex] Re: northern apricots

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Mon Aug 13 15:35:40 EDT 2001

--- In nafex at y..., "del stubbs" <pinewoodel at h...> wrote:
> The presumption is that this is a selfruitful tree with no other
> pollinizers around, and will come true to form. I've had such poor
> success grafting apricots onto my manchurian stock, I have hopes of
> just starting from seed.

Del, have you tried budding them? It's easy, and it seems the normal
method with stone fruit.

Apricot seedlings probably come truer to the parents than most other
species, but if you've got a good local apricot identified, you might
want at least one clone.

I would be surprised if Westcot (bred at Morden, Manitoba) were not
available in the U.S.

Bernie, have you any experience of Brookcot in Edmonton? I seem to
have read of it having been bred at Brooks, Alberta where I
understand the chinooks are pretty severe.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario