[nafex] the disappointing elderberry

Bill Russell shaman at penn.com
Thu Aug 9 14:37:48 EDT 2001

Elderberry has been, and still is, regarded as sacred plant by many
cultures. The Gypsies have respected elderberry so deeply that dead
elderberry wood was never put in a fire. In some places in Europe, a prayer
was offered to the spirit of edler before the wood was cut. A teaspoon of
the berries, raw or cooked, has been known to stop sciatica pain within
minutes. The flowers were soaked in buttermilk and used as a facial wash to
promote a youthful skin by Gypsy women. A strong tea of elder blossoms and
peppermint is still used to ward off an impending cold. These are only a few
of the herbal uses of elderberry. Check your herb books.

Go ahead and make your elderbery wine. Then send me a bottle.

Bill