[nafex] Big 4 Commercial Pears

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Fri Nov 17 09:22:07 EST 2000

Hi,

Just look at apples in Ontario.   The Ontario Apple Marketing Commission only
promotes 13 varieties of apples; (their descriptions, not mine)

                http://www.ontarioapples.com/varieties/default.asp

                   Red Delicious - Redder than Ronald's hair...
                      Cortland - That's a nice lookin' apple
                    Crispin (Mutsu) - A taste of the Orient...
                         Empire - The upper class apple...
                Golden Delicious - This ain't your Granny's apple.
                   Idared - Can't find yours? Check the oven...
                        McIntosh - Ontario's Pride and Joy!
                     Spartan - The one that nabbed Snow White!
                       Northern Spy - James Bond's favorite!
                         Jonagold - Better than Jonabronze
               Golden Russet - Proof that beauty is only skin deep!
                           Fuji - A mountain of flavour
                           Gala - The superstar of fruit

This is true of both their web site and printed material that I have picked up at
local agricultural fairs.  I am not bashing them, but pointing out the limit of
their scope.

I don't know if OAMC are promoting other varieties, but I have not seen anything in
that regard.  I am unaware of what goes on with their membership behind the
scenes.  I can say, that the list above represents all the apples I ever see in our
local supermarkets.

It would appear to me that as long as only "mainstream", "Mc Donald's-like" fruit
is promoted to the public, that is all you will ever see.

It does strike me that the "Got Milk?" campaign that was so popular, never asked
"Got whole milk?", "Got skim milk?", "Got buttermilk?", Got 2% milk?", etc., etc.,
etc..  They promoted milk in general, not just certain milk products.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio