[nafex] Re: Granny Smith apple origin

H. Dessureault inter.verbis at atreide.net
Mon Dec 11 06:31:46 EST 2000

Thank you for the info Douglas,
I had imagine that the name was given as you describe. You are referring to Sidney, Australia, no doubt. In Canada, Granny Smith is available in most supermarket throughout the year but it does not grow in most part here as it requires a warmer climate. The apples are usually shipped from New Zealand. I still have not figured out this business of the French Crab and I sent some notes back on the egroup about the Bramley, which was popular in England at about the time we are interested in. Here it is :
In the Tsolum River Fruit Trees nursery catalogue, 1992, there is a :
Bramley Seedling, Nottinghamshire, 1805, large greenish yellow, red flush and stripes. Firm, juicy, acid, high in Vitamine C, Famous cooking apple. Stores Oct. to April. Scab resistant, Tip bearer, Triploid.
In Pointe du Moulin nursery catalogue, 1996, from Montréal :
Bramley, England, 1810, very large green apple, excellent for pies and cider, vigorous, heavy bearer, blooms late, survive frost, resistant to scab and mildew, triploid.

I happen to know that the Bramley is still is popular in England. Maybe IT comes from the French Crab?

H. Dessureault