[Microid] MicroID Python code + comments on the spec

Eran Sandler eran at yedda.com
Wed Jan 3 12:54:54 EST 2007

Hey all,

Attached is a simple function implementation of microid in Python (after
seeing the Java implementation I had to do something ;-) ).

This sample is for Python 2.4 or so (in 2.5 the SHA API I'm using is
deprecated, so when I'll install it I'll submit a Python 2.5 valid sample).

It also contains a sample that you can run it by itself (and not include it
in a project). Run by specifying:
python microid.py firsturi seconduri

Where firsturi is the first uri you want to encode and the second is the

For example:
python microid.py xmpp:stpeter at jabber.org https://www.xmpp.net/

This will produce (with the '======' lines):

first uri          : xmpp:stpeter at jabber.org
second uri         : https://www.xmpp.net/

microid hash value : 6196ea6709be2a4cbdf2bc0cfaeac491f2fb8921

microid            :

For the value of the microid printed, it will try to extract the protocol
used form the uris given in the input.

This also brings me to another point. I might be wrong on this, but I double
checked the hash values and the sample on the spec has the wrong hash
values. The ones I've listed above is the right ones (as far as I could

So it would be good to correct the sample so that people will be able to
verify that their sha1 hashing (at least for now) is working well.