[Market-farming] holding sweet potato slips

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue May 18 17:41:54 EDT 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 9:30 PM, beverly henkel wrote:

> Once planted do you cut new growth or pull up the runners to get the
> roots out to encourage the plants to produce many sweet potato
> tubers?  What is the management oncwe planted?  Bev. Henkel

I'm somewhat confused -- do you mean, once you have the slips planted
out in the field where they're going to grow?

If so, I don't see why you would cut new growth, at least unless
you're selling the greens; you want the leaf growth to support the
plants so that they can set tubers.

I've never pulled up runners, but I have a relatively short season,
and I grow them on black plastic so they can't start to root at
additional locations right away; I think the bit of rooting they do
have time to do goes to feed the main plant further. But I think I
have read that in more southern locations these secondary rooting
locations may try to set tubers also, in which case they might lessen
the set from the main plant, I suppose.

It can be helpful to put your location in your posts.