[Market-farming] High Yield crop recommendations

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Jan 4 13:15:51 EST 2010

 On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:59:01 -0500, John Paul Endicott wrote:
> Hi all.  Happy New Year!   I am currently working on a plan to grow on a
> community garden plot for the coming year.  100% of the crops will go to a
> local food cupboard to feed the needy.   I'm looking for recommendations for
> tomatoes, potatoes, and spinach/lettuce/greens:

I've had good luck with Juliet sauce tomatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes. But you might consider red potatoes instead--they are tastier, and your customers are unlikely to be storing them long--the main advantage of YG's. You might also think about green beans--a source of protein, and harvestable all summer and into the fall. I'd recommend Fortex pole beans.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/