[Market-farming] LB White Heater

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 10:15:24 EST 2008

They worked good for us for a good many years until it finally got to the
point I clouldn't buy parts for it anymore.  It was a lot cheaper to operate than
the Modine I replaced it with.  We only heat buildings to start plants in
early March, it just doesn't pay for use to try to grow in the cold Iowa winters.
 We need a break from the growing in the winters to all the livestock work
caught up.  We raise and sell fresh lamb in the summer markets and with 12 acres
of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and hand woven products.  Also we have 20
acres of hay, 40 acres of corm,  20 acres of oats, and some years I plant
soybeans,and the balance of our farm is pasture.  Like you I don't raise any hogs
but we use to have quite a few sows and did intensive farrowing, every three
weeks we farrowed 40 sows.  Took a lot of winter energy to keep those farrowing
houses warm, I don't miss it at all.

We use three hoophouses here mostly for early lettuce and extention of room
for our greenhouse which gets overwhelled very quickly when we get going on our
early plantings.  We hire O labor, if we can't find the time to get it done
it just doesn't get done.  We tried using outside labor and it just never
really ever worked out.  I'M not going to pay someone to sit in the field  and flip
their hair or get lost in the Corn field for a half a day.

If I could find good LB white heaters in My area I would probably be using
them today but new one's are very high, and I can find Modine Heaters  for
around $200 so that works for me.

Phil from Iowa