market-farming Apprentices Versus Hired Help

Del Williams delannw at dlogue.net
Mon May 7 10:01:34 EDT 2001

Ah, Liz, you have a sharp eye.  Clarification is so important.

Here's the way it goes.  We do work about 14-hour days which include:
No one works more than 4 hours without a break.

No one works alone for more than 2 hours.
After dark and in the early am hours - no one works alone.
Meal breaks last an hour.  They can eat, nap, go to the post office, talk on
the phone, do whatever.  I don't care.

If we have to work on Sunday, we work on Sunday.  It might be Sunday or
Labor Day or the 4th of July but the plants don't know it.  If they need
some tending to somebody has to do it.
There are also the occasional Sunday markets.

Oh, and no one under 16 works for me.

That's my version of working like a slave.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL