[internetworkers] cell phone repeater recommendations?

Ron Thigpen ron at fuzzsonic.com
Thu Feb 19 14:25:20 EST 2009

As a possible alternative, I understand that AT&T is kicking off a new
device/service, called 'femtocell' that might fit the need.  Basically,
it's a device that acts as a tiny cell base station in your home.
Uplink is through your existing internet connection.  This in contrast
to the device you cited, which is a radio booster/repeater, so there
wouldn't be the need to mount and wire an external antenna.

I haven't seen a pricing release, but I'd expect a $100 or thereabouts
device cost and maybe a small ($0-10) monthly fee.

You register your handsets with the device, it only connects those
registered and only something like four handsets total.  This limitation
could rule it out for your friend's case.  The device does provides 3G
level connections to your handsets.

--rt