[internetworkers] Triangulator scavenger hunt in Raleigh Aug. 23rd

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:34:25 EDT 2008

This just in. Sorry for the book here. If they'd only put this info on
their website...

Cheers,
Mark
www.markturner.net

Triangulator Part Deux: City of Oaks *

People of the Triangle,

Back in May we held our inaugural Triangulator scavenger hunt in Durham.
Over thirty people participated in the six hour multi-media, multi-modal
(sub)urban (mis)adventure.

In the Bull City we climbed, we rhymed, and we memorialized, discovering
coal chutes and hidden swimming pools and secret passageways in the
process. We learned about why Durham was the city of medicine long
before Duke Hospitals, unearthed the ghosts of the city's industrial
past and experimented with new uses for Fufu flour and Waxy Corn. But
most importantly, we were able to see Durham in new ways: finding new
intrigue and beauty in the places and people we pass by every day and
discovering parts of the city (sometimes right around the corner) that
we never knew existed. Check out some of the photos from the event
<http://www.triangulator.org/durham> on our interactive map (circa
1923).

Now, its time to unleash this joyous rite of exploration on the state
capital! * *Triangulator will come to Raleigh *Saturday, August 23rd
from Noon to 6 pm.*

The scavenger hunt registration will begin at 11am in Halifax Mall
(behind the state legislature) with some physical warm-ups and end with
food, festivities, and awards at a location to be announced. Just like
the game in Durham, there will be subjective and objective questions,
written questions and photo questions. But this time we'll also be
throwing in some puzzles and obstacles, including unwitting appearances
by some of Raleigh's favorite sons (and daughters).

Triangulator is very much like and very much unlike other scavenger
hunts in that it involves both searches for specific items AND
subjective, interpretative explorations. There may or may not be right
answers, you may or may not know them and that may or may not be an
advantage. Go forth and triangulate!

*Schedule
*Saturday, August 23rd*
* 11am: Congregation. Games and Distribution of Clues at Halifax Mall
(map<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=108007841487052856257.000453499dab875d2a094&ll=35.785243,-78.63901&spn=0.003977,0.006909&t=h&z=17>
)
11:45am -6pm: Scavenger Hunt in Raleigh (official questions will be
within two miles of the state Capitol, but you can go anywhere for the
subjective questions)
6:30pm: Awards, Drinks, Food, and Presentations at a downtown location
TBA. It's BYOB but we'll have food.

*Rules and regulations:*
* Each team will require a digital camera (i.e. bring one if you've got
one).
* Registration is $5 per person (includes dinner)
* Unexpected interpretation of the questions and unpredictable results
are encouraged.
* Boundaries: All provided questions will be within 2 miles of the state
capitol. Subjective questions can be answered from anywhere.within the
city limits.
* Winning teams will receive much backslapping and if you're lucky a
found chotchky.
* Teams will be formed on arrival (bring folks to play with or come and
join up with others).

*Why: * Because we are fed by curiosity and delight for everything that
is the Triangle (and by extension, our world)

*How: *You can use any vehicle you like though we are proponents of the
world's most efficient vehicle, the bicycle, and the game is designed
with that in mind. However, we are also big fans of the world's least
polluting traveler, the pedestrian, and the game can be managed on foot.

*Disclaimer:* This is an ongoing process - participate at your own risk!
We found with the Durham game that groups did best when they were
willing to go places and do things they've never done before. Come ready
to open yourself up to the possibilities of the city.

* To RSVP email: *scavenger.hunt at triangulator.org
(As part of our pre-registration process, please include your favorite
Raleigh event/happening with your RSVP (Triangulator *is* an acceptable
option!))

*More about Triangulator*
With scavenger hunts growing increasingly trendy (and venture capital
funds salivating over their profit potential), we should remind you (and
ourselves) of why we're organizing this event.

Triangulator is about re-examining our every day spaces: thinking more
critically about how we interact with the cities we live in, and
becoming more interested in how we affect and are affected by what (and
who) is around us. Why does the street stop being cleaned after you
cross certain roads, where can you find urban fruit, how is it that
neighborhoods right next to each other have different accents? These are
all questions Triangulator seeks to better understand.

At the beginning of this year, a group of us got together to start
talking about how we could create a forum to exchange local knowledge
about the Triangle with interested (and interesting) people. We decided
the best way to do it was to get those people together to play a game.
Thus, Triangulator was born.

If you're interested and would like to be more involved you should email
us at scavenger.hunt at triangulator.org. We'd love your help as we try to
build a community interested in feeding our collective delight in the
geography around us.