[internetworkers] A-Dubya-O-L

Michael Czeiszperger michael at czeiszperger.org
Thu Sep 9 11:00:04 EDT 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 10:31 AM, H. Wade Minter wrote:

> "Steve Schmidt, a spokesman for the Bush-Cheney campaign, charged that
> Texans for Truth "is a front group for MoveOn.org that has spent tens
> of millions of dollars attacking the president. . . . This is a smear
> group launching baseless attacks on behalf of John Kerry's campaign
> that will be rejected by the American people." "
>
> "...unlike the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth, who are a wholly
> independent organization exercising their constitutional rights to
> free speech."
>
> Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle

I've been reading The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and
How it Corrupts Demoncracy by David Brooks:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400048753/qid=1094741411/sr=ka
-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-2659332-6040737

One of his points after working inside the Republican-controlled media
for many years is their attempt to discredit the professional of
journalism to the point that the public believes there's no such thing
as objective evidence.  In a world in which there is no actual
objective reporting, then everything must be subjective, in which case
opinion is all that matters and facts don't exist.

This comes into play in comparing the military service of the two
candidates.  On the one hand you have actual written, documented
evidence showing Bush disobeyed a direct order, along with pay records
with a six month gap.  On the other hand all it takes to discredit
Kerry is an opinion, even if all available hard evidence contradicts
your statements.