[internetworkers] Sometimes it pays to get your facts straight

Tony Spencer tony at tonyspencer.com
Wed Oct 6 12:51:10 EDT 2004


Ok, so if you believe my question to be sincere then why do you think I
wasn't playing fair?

When I use 'loaded language' to express sarcasm (as you often do) I always
attempt make it blatantly obvious.  From now on I'll include the obligatory
;) to avoid confusion.

--------------------

Back on topic:

Perhaps Soros did persuade someone to drop a 301 redirect to his site on
factcheck.com.  

Note the cached copy of factcheck.com:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=%22factcheck%2Eco
m%22

"The Leading Education Site on the Net"

Now search for more sites with that exact phrase:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22The+Leading+Education+Site+on+th
e+Net%22

Now check the DNS entries for those sites. They all show the same:
------------------------------
REGISTRAR: DOMAINNAMESALES.COM

Registrant:
 Name Administration Inc. (BVI)
 Box 10518 A.P.O.
 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
 KY

 Domain name: EDUCATIONINFO.COM

 Administrative Contact:
    Domain, Administrator  admin at nameadmininc.com
    Box 10518 A.P.O.
    Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
    KY
    +1.345.946.6879
 Technical Contact:
    Domain, Administrator  admin at nameadmininc.com
    Box 10518 A.P.O.
    Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands B.W.I.
    KY
    +1.345.946.6879


 Registrar of Record: DomainNameSales
 Record last updated on 20-Sep-2004.
 Record expires on 07-Sep-2006.
 Record created on 07-Sep-2003.

------------------------------

So that explains the Caymen Islands.  The dude that owns all these domains
is banking in the Caymens, not Soros.  I'm guessing the redirect wasn't
there yesterday but unfortunately Google's cache is very up to date and
Yahoo has no cache so its impossible to tell.

  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: internetworkers-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org 
> [mailto:internetworkers-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf 
> Of matusiak
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 12:34 PM
> To: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sometimes it pays to get your 
> facts straight
> 
> On Oct 6, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:
> 
> > Dave you are incorrectly inferring that by posing the question I was
> > suggesting something sinister on the part of democrats.
> >
> > I simply found it to be curious and was wondering out loud.  (I was 
> > also
> > being sincere when I said it was a blunder on the part of Cheney.)
> 
> Tony,
> 
> I was not trying to question the sincerity of your 
> statements, as they 
> appear consistent with your past sentiments.  However, I was 
> immediately addressing the possible implication that "something was 
> amuck" with this site's domain registration and that it was obviously 
> placed outside of US reach for nefarious reasons.  That is 
> exactly the 
> message that was transmitted from your keyboard.  Anyone who has read 
> this list for the past year can "read between the lines" and match up 
> your intentions with the words posted to the list.
> 
> The reason I responded, and the point that I'm trying to 
> drive home, is 
> that using loaded language to get your point across often 
> does more to 
> call your opinion into question than to support your ideas.  
> This is a 
> problem on a national (if not global scale), both with our elected 
> officials and with the constituents.
> 
> If the goal is spreading misinformation, then use whatever lingo you 
> desire.  If the goal is to legitimately discuss topics and attempt to 
> solve problems, then language and intentions must be made painfully 
> clear for all to see.  We all know it can be just as misleading to 
> leave out important facts as it can be to completely fabricate 
> information.  In this case, we don't even know that Soros owns this 
> domain or pretty much anything about it.  The inference that 
> he owns it 
> (or scooped it up quickly based upon Cheney's blunder) and then made 
> the point to redirect those web requests to his own site is 
> both quite 
> loaded, as well as lacking some significant details.
> 
> That's about all I have to say on that topic.  I hope it was clear.
> dave m.
> 
> 
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: matusiak
> >> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 11:41 AM
> >> To: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> >> Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Sometimes it pays to get your facts 
> >> straight
> >>
> >> On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:28 AM, Tony Spencer wrote:
> >>
> >>> Yeah, that was a nasty blunder.
> >>>
> >>> Any clue why does Soros have all contact info for the domain
> >>> factcheck.com listed in the Caymen Islands?
> >>
> >> Yes, 'cause we all know that all those philandering 
> Democrats offshore
> >> all their money so as to hurt the American economy and line their
> >> disgustingly blue-blood pockets.  C'mon -- let's at least /try/ to 
> >> play
> >> fair.
> 
> ---
> Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  
> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
> To unsubscribe visit 
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers
> 
> 




More information about the InterNetWorkers mailing list