[Homestead] Cities View Homesteads as a Source of Income

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Mon Jul 26 06:59:38 EDT 2010

Don't panic. It is not yet another insidious way for urban bureaucrats to fleece we noble country folk. But for sure this is a definition I had never considered.

From:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/us/26revenue.html?_r=1&hp

Beatrice was a starting point for the Homestead Act of 1862, the federal law that handed land to pioneering farmers. Back then, the goal was to settle the West. The goal of Beatrice’s “Homestead Act of 2010,” is, in part, to replenish city coffers.