[Homestead] Gas explosions

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 08:59:42 EST 2009

If it's a cellar with a roof, what keeps it from freezing? My basement
freezes in a sustained cold spell, if I don't heat it. I've lost squash
stored there, and had valves (but never the pipes, which are insulated)
freeze. I have no idea what that hole in the photo is the remains of, but I
don't think most people have a well house here. Bringing water anywhere near
the surface is a recipe for disaster.

What I've seen (and have) are wellheads..about 18" of casing with a cap on
it sticking out of the ground. The pump is 100-200+ feet down in the water,
and pumps the water to the house through an underground pipe that comes into
the basement about 6' below grade. There is (presumably) some way to pull
the pump to the surface for maintenance...I've never had to do it

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA