[Homestead] Do Not Call list for cell phones

bobf bobford79 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 11:31:46 EST 2009

That is another 'urban myth' Gene.  Check out Snopes, or read the article below..........

" Published September 17, 2008 09:54 am - It never fails. You’re in the middle of a rare moment with the family at the dinner table and a telemarketer calls, derailing the meaningful conversation you were having with your 9-year-old.

'Do Not Call' available for cell phones

By TEDDYE SNELL

TAHLEQUAH DAILY PRESS —
It never fails. You’re in the middle of a rare moment with the family at the dinner table and a telemarketer calls, derailing the meaningful conversation you were having with your 9-year-old.

As an answer to this, the Federal Trade Commission created the “Do Not Call” registry, which now boasts over 139 million phone numbers.

But have you ever been contacted via your cell phone by a telemarketer? After all, part of the appeal of having a cell phone is the number is unpublished.

The Daily Press was contacted by a reader who had heard cell phone numbers were going to be made public, as early as this week – which would allow telemarketers access to previously unpublished numbers.

However, following visits to the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site and Snopes.com, a site that debunks hoaxes and rumors, nothing could be further from the truth.

The FTC updated its site at the beginning of September, and reminds consumers that cell phone numbers are not public.

“As the number of phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry has surpassed 139 million, the Federal Trade Commission today reiterated that despite the claims made in e-mails circulating on the Internet, consumers should not be concerned that their cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers at any time in the near future,” states a press release on the site. “In addition, according to the agency, it is not necessary to register cell phone numbers on the DNC Registry to be protected from most telemarketing calls to cell phones.”

Telemarketers are tricky outfits, and they obtain numbers – for all kinds of phones – via avenues some people would never suspect.

Darryl Maggard, Cherokee County 911 supervisor, has first-hand experience with cell phone telemarketing.

“Actually, my mother signed a receipt to give feedback one time,” said Maggard. “After that, she’d get telemarketing calls on her cell phone all the time. I went online and registered mine for the Do Not Call list.”

Many people have foregone a “land line” phone, and communicate strictly via cell phone – like Dr. John Yeutter, associate professor of accounting at Northeastern State University.

“I have registered [my cell number] on both the Oklahoma attorney general and federal Do Not Call list,” he said. “I have receive telemarketing calls on my phone, from someone who acquired my number from a professional certification or membership list, and who believed that the number they were calling was a commercial line. I made a complaint report on both the federal and Oklahoma Web site.”

The DNC Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines; however, those interested in registering must call from the phone number to be registered. Those who choose to register online must respond to a confirmation e-mail.

The telecommunications industry has discussed the possibility of creating a wireless 411 directory, according to the FCC, but the FTC states even if a directly is established, most telemarketing calls to cell phones would still be illegal.

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/local/local_story_261095424.html