[Homestead] Sawdust, chips, horse manure

Lynda lurine at com-pair.net
Fri Feb 20 14:24:58 EST 2009

There are benzoic, oxalic and plicatic acids in pine and cedar.  A lot of it
is given off, particularly with cedar, in off-gassing.  Oak gives you tanic
and acetic acids.

All woods contain resins and some contain a combo that is toxic to animals.
Oak, along with cherry and black walnut contain those types of resins which
is why they aren't used as shavings for animals.

Lynda