[Homestead] Dorpers, was Hatin' (Sarah) Palin

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:10:16 EDT 2008

I have woolies and I love them. Mine are mostly Romney. The biggest
problem I have with wool sheep is that they don't seem to understand how
big they are in full wool. They crowd me and can knock me down without
even feeling it.

I actually use the wool; I make flokati type rugs. In Greece the
flokatis are made with wool yarn (tied around the warp threads) that is
allowed to untwist to make a shag. I skipped a step and tie the wool,
unspun, around the warp. It's slow going, but the Romney fleece makes
beautiful rugs. The white (cream, actually) wool is nice, but gets
boring. I only have one black sheep--I'd like to get more that are
different colors.

My ram died last year and didn't do his job, so I didn't have any lambs
this spring. I bought a new ram (the biggest Dorset I've ever seen) in
the spring, and my ewes bred out of season. So far I have 2 ewe lambs
and a boy I call "Easter dinner". Looks like there might be more coming.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA