[Homestead] Black Walnuts

EarthNSky erthnsky at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 14 19:07:04 EDT 2008

Yeah.  I'm trying to look at the bright side, which means that the 'tree
area' I intend to plant can be used for other trees now.  I'll plant the
walnuts back by the creek.  They will still be easy to harvest.
I guess this is a lesson in not waiting.  I had hoped that we could get
these trees big enough before we die to get some financial benefit from
them, you know, like a retirement account.  From what James said, the
value won't be much because the heartwood won't be large enough by the
time we need the money.  So, for all of you who are still under 40,
plant trees now.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2008, at 2:44 PM, EarthNSky wrote:
>

>> Clansgian at wmconnect.com wrote:
>>> I am used to measuring trees by circumfrence.  10" in diameter ....
>>> make that
>>> more like 30 years.  And even at that, it won't give you a 10" saw
>>> log
>>> because the sap wood is likely to be 2" to 4" of that.
>> Now I am depressed again.
>
> Think of TJ's joy at using them.

> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
> View the archives at:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'"  Ronald Reagan