[Homestead] SE PA going to identifiablenon-cashsmartcardsfortransporta...

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 14:41:12 EST 2008

These are newborn bull calves. They are useless at a dairy. The farmer has
to pay $10 to have them hauled to the auction, where he MIGHT get $10 for
them, if they don't die on the way...he'd much rather have me come and pick
them up and give him $10, and do something useful with them. Everybody is
happy, including the calves, who get a good home. It is odd; A $10 bull
calf, butchered at 9-10 months, will produce 300-400 pounds of meat. A baby
lamb, who needs the same care and will produce less than 50 pounds of meat
when it's butchered, costs a lot more around here....$50-75.  Go figure.

The calves have to be fed, and if you don't have a cow to nurse them, they
need to be bottle-fed. It's still a good deal; $50 worth of milk replacer
will get them started, by then they can survive on pasture. At one point I
had 5 calves, all bottle-fed 3 times a day. That kept me jumping, and makes
the calves into total ninnies...it's cute being affectionately butted when
they are little; not so cute when they are 900 pounds with horns. It's much
easier to just get as many calves as the cows will adopt...they do a much
better job than me raising calves, anyway.

Lynn Wigglesworth