[Homestead] Sweet Potato harvest

Marie McHarry mmcharry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 21:29:35 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue at ruralize.com> wrote:

> I am more inclined to believe that growing sweet potatoes well is due
> less to gardener ability and more to garden soil, location and
> weather.

I second that. It's hard for me to get my head around the fact that
James, who is so far south of where I am, has a colder spring. I know
he mentions it, but I guess I still think that he ought at least to be
keeping pace temperature wise with places north. Our springs have
varied wildly in the last few years, but as long as hard frosts are
past, the sweet potatoes hang in there.

I had a great-uncle who was a truck gardener, and who could grow
anything. He did extremely well with sweet potatoes and often had way
too many to sell. Thus, as a child I learned to love the sweet potato
in its many kitchen incarnations.

Marie