[Homestead] Earth charity

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Thu Jan 31 13:10:29 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

> But the carbon in this dead zone is unavailable to plants except as
> water
> storage.  The carbon and nitrogen are food for the microbes that
> break them
> down to make them available to growing plants.

And that brings us to why I am skeptical about the carbon
sequestration premise. The carbon gets into the soil through the
plants. It gets down to the roots. But the next crop or the next crop
after will be eating the nutrients the microorganisms produce when
they are eating those roots. Why should the carbon stay down there?