[Homestead] Bats

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Wed Feb 13 09:30:56 EST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 6:22 PM, WF Smith wrote:

> Should I take down my bat houses? They have afforded myself and
> innumerable
> kids much entertainment.

I would not. If anything, I would build more. Bats are good guys and
without them the insect population would be much greater. I think of
bats and amphibians as environmental indicators, like canaries in
mines. Bat health problems are likely due to humans fouling the
environment. They are in much greater danger from us than we are from
them.