[Homestead] deer hunting

Lynda lurine at com-pair.net
Mon Dec 15 00:10:44 EST 2008

You have to be very familiar with your woodstove and your canner.  You have
to take a canner up to a particular temp and then get it to stay at a
precise temp to hold a precise pressure.  Some woodstoves are real
tempermental about having that "sweet" spot.  Others are a joy to work with.
My Gramma Dorothy's seemed to work just fine after she cussed at it <g>  The
one I learned on you just had to keep stoked to a particular point and you
were more or less home free.  Noni's stove was part wood part gas and she
did her summer canning on the gas half and the winter canning on the wood.
She started it on the front and then would gradually slide it back until it
was just right.

Again, you have to know your stove and your canner.  They ain't all created
equal.

Lynda