[Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

Leslie cayadopi at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 23:13:13 EST 2008

Along

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, bob ford <bobford79 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: bob ford <bobford79 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
To: cayadopi at yahoo.com, homestead at lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:00 PM

Answers within, marked by asteriks

--- On Mon, 12/8/08, Leslie <cayadopi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a lot cooler here than in your area (Phoenix?)  I
> only used my A/C 10 days over the summer (when it got over
> 100), and used a portable swamp cooler for about 10 days.
> I've been heating up to 41-45, and just put a sweatshirt
> on.  I'm doing this on purpose to make sure that
> survival is possible without heat or very little heat.  My
> fuel consumption is low - from March 08 - Dec any day now,
> I've only used one tall RV sized bottle of LP for my
> cooking/heating needs.  Same with my electric, very low
> use.  There are solar powered fridge/freezers
> available, pricey, but not a bad idea.  Solar water heat
> is no problem here... LOL, until the winter.

******  The above sounds like you are preparing in a smart way.  If you can
live without the pricier appliances, the rule is 'the simpler, the
better'

> Hey, did you read the blip on Argentina basically seizing
> pension plans a few weeks back (equivalent of IRA, 401(k),
> etc).... I had read years ago that governments would resort
> to that citing "in the national interest" type
> stuff.

******* Yes I did.  And, at one time Argentina was considered a great success.
I have followed the travails, on the internet , of a man who lived through their
first collapse.  He has written about the crime, the gov't oppression;
because of his experiences, and the fact that a cache of gold helped him to
survive and to get out of the country and have the means to start a new life,
makes him sort of a gold bug

> I even talked to a few other people I know from all over
> the country to see if they were interested in moving to an
> area together and working together.  No takers, yet....so
> it is going to be tough alone.    Some people I talk to
> don't even consider that there could be food shortages,
> etc. just over the horizon.

******  You are alone ?; I thought you had moved there with family or it was
family land.  Sometimes it is difficult for me to keep up with and remeber
people's backgrounds and situations.  There are many strong women on this
list who may be able to advise you.  As far as the "community" idea,
give it more time,  If that is what you want, other people have done it
successfully.