[Homestead] Doesn't matter (was Disappointed in Obama)

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Mon Aug 25 19:40:46 EDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:54 PM, rayzentz at aim.com wrote:

>  I personally believe that our problems began when we
> removed landownership requirements.   But, that's just me...

Now, Ray, how long would it take a candidate, or their favorite
lobbyist, or their campaign committee, or any wealthy contributor, to
buy a bit of land or whatever qualified as property under whatever
requirement and get the deed recorded in the candidate's name? A
couple hours? As a retired Realtor, I can tell you that it would be a
fun and profitable buying frenzy. Candidates would have vast holdings
to choose from.

Yet more incentive for those willing to subject themselves to the
process.

I like the presidential selection system the way it is. It is rock-
solid dependable entertainment every four years--grown men and women
providing free reality shows, hugs and kisses to thousands, sincere
expressions of love to millions. It provides a huge temporary
employment and additional income not to mention material for a
substantial number of Americans and others around the world--political
advisors, reporters, columnists, pundits, anchor people, television
station owners, fund raisers, lobbyists--add your favorites. And the
best thing of all, campaigning now starts nearly two years before the
actual election day.

I just don't see how I could get along without it.