[Homestead] New rock (for me) found

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Fri Nov 9 09:51:21 EST 2007

Digging out the hillside for the metal barn has provided insight into
what lies beneath the surface here in south-central Missouri, about
fifteen miles north of the Missouri-Arkansas border.

Yesterday I found a chunk of rock that the backhoe had broken off a
larger rock. Very lightweight, highly porous, orangish in color. I
brought it to the house and hosed it somewhat clean. It took me some
time before I realized that I was almost certainly looking at coral.
Yet more proof that this uplift was at one time beneath a great
inland sea.

Now looking for photos on the Web, to more closely identify what it is.