[Homestead] East Wind Commune

Gene GeRue genegerue at ruralize.com
Tue Dec 4 09:17:14 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Tim Oppenheim wrote:

> I was playing with Google Earth (and if you don't you should) and
> came across the East Wind Commune in Southern Missouri. Some of you
> old time hippies should know about it. What's the story?

East Wind is near Heartwood, well, about forty minutes away. I have
been there several times. It is old enough that it is well
established and settled down, having worked their way through the
rough spots. Beautiful property; they own about a thousand acres.
Lots of buildings. Unique concept: each couple/family has their own
place but each individual also has a private room in one of the other
homes, usually with a private entrance. They have a school and a
large community garden.

East Wind leaders did a very smart thing years ago: they wrote a good
business plan, borrowed a substantial chunk of money from our local
bank, and over the years have developed a highly successful business
making nut butters--something that makes them a good living. They
have also made sandals and hammocks; I have a pair of their rope
sandals, which are used during river floats as they are made of poly
something that doesn't rot from being wet and is not slippery on rocks.

They are sensitive to the feelings of the greater community
surrounding them. They keep a section of Highway 160 between
Gainesville and West Plains free of trash. One of their members
worked with my committee when we first started our county recycling
program; I was the chairman; their representative, Alder, was very
helpful.

It is not for me to live that close to so many people but if it were
I might well live there. The other strong factor is that they share
all resources. It is my understanding that if you move there you give
all your resources, money, car, tools, etc., to the community. I
think there are about fifty people living there now. New members have
the advantage that they are moving into a viable society supported by
a well-established business.