[Homestead] Sewing machine problem

sjc indexer at localnet.com
Mon Sep 4 20:48:10 EDT 2006

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control.

The 15 was a great old gal, in production for many, many years.  Many of
them were used daily and on rough fabrics---twills, other denims, and most
fabrics were a lot coarser in times gone by---and still they performed
well.  There are a lot of them still in daily service, although not usually
to their original masters.....

As to oiling, I oil any machine without a pump or oilpan once a month or
so, but my machines are in use most days, sometimes all day.  There's no
chance you'll not want to oil it after sitting all that time.  The only
thing is what kind of oil.  Do NOT use 3-in-1 or the like.  that stuff
turns to varnish (well, so it seems) in no time, gums up the works about
right.  What you want is a very light machine oil, should be very light and
totally clear.  I've got a 5 gal can here but there's a thousand miles
between us...........Be sure and get the spots on the top and by the
handwheel, often forgotten or overlooked.  The motor should be lubed, too,
if it so states in the manual (some do, some don't, never mind they have
the same model number); not sure what they're using for that these
days.  Just take a toothpick or fine wire and clean out that little 'tube'
where it goes, and put the new in.  NO oil on motor, even if it has what
looks like 'oil holes'.

Most of the machines that come here for repair have some sort of tension
issue (usually user-induced) but the next 'batch' of problems are related
to the wrong kind of oil having been used and the whole thing feels almost
like it's seized.  So using the right kind of oil according to the
frequency the manual calls for is the key.

Need any more info, holler.

OT from the OT:  I had 107 of the old 'black' Singers, at least one primo
example of each major machine that Singer made, when the house burned.  All
were up and running nicely and I loved playing with them.  Now I have a few
that folks brought in for repair and then abandoned, but nothing like the
gang before.  Also had a lot of New Home Greyhounds, quite the racy machine
for it's time.......  Lots of fun, all.

Susan Jane, in Maine